If you ventured out to my old studio you will know first hand it was tiny, messy, and powered by one 100ft. long extension cord. My studio is an old chicken coop with a great view and perfect natural lighting. It wasn’t much, but it was mine.
Last winter I applied to graduate school and didn’t get accepted. I’m a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. So instead of sulking, Joe and I decided to remodel and expand the studio. We did all the work ourselves (Joe more than I!). I had never taken on such a large project and had no idea how long it would take. I assumed a week, but it was more like 3 months! It was worth the wait.
The following photos are the old studio.
I used to store my chemicals in 5 gallon plastic buckets, 4 high, against the wall, will all my packing material stored on top. Needless to say, when I made glaze I had to rearrange everything. See all the clutter, it was driving me nuts!When I glazed I didn’t have enough table space and had to put Hardi-Backer on the top of my splash pan to create some more surface area.
It would get so cold in my studio at night that my pots would freeze and I’d have to start all over. I do miss how fast the wood stove would dry out my pots when in a pinch!This door didn’t seal at the top and when it would snow at night there would be snow all over the floor the next morning.Initially, I wanted to use these shelves as a wee display area but I ended up using it for storage. I kept my wet clay in my closet, along with a family of mice. In my next post I will present the NEW studio!